I can't select the Meeting Owl as my video device
This article applies to the Meeting Owl Pro and Meeting Owl.
If you are starting a video conference call and cannot select Owl as your video device, please ensure the following:
- (Meeting Owl) You are on the latest Meeting Owl software version. Owls on 2.0.2 or below may experience this issue.
- You are on the latest version of Mac OS X if you are using a Mac and have Google Chrome running in the background. This issue can be experienced on older Mac OS X versions (before High Sierra) when Chrome is open.
If the above conditions are met, try the following:
- Unplug the Meeting Owl’s USB cable and plug it back into your computer.
- Reboot the Meeting Owl by unplugging your Owl’s power for 10 seconds and plugging it back in.
If the problem persists, check if the Owl is selectable in your computer’s default media player:
- Windows Camera App
- Open the Windows Camera App
- Select the Camera icon on the top right to change the camera source.
- QuickTime Player
- Open Quicktime
- Start a New Movie Recording
- Click the down arrow ( V ) next to the record symbol and select the Meeting Owl Pro as the Camera and Microphone.
If the Owl is not selectable in your computer’s default camera app, check if the Owl is in your computer’s list of devices:
- Windows: Verify that the device appears in Device Manager.
- Windows 10
- Open Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Under Devices and Printers, open Device Manager.
- Windows 8
- Open Control Panel > System and Security > System > Device Manager
- Windows 7
- Open Control Panel > System and Security > Device Manager
If you do not see the Owl in this list, rescan devices by selecting the “Scan for hardware changes” button.
- Windows 10
- Mac: Verify that the device appears in System Information.
- Select Apple Menu > About This Mac > Overview > System Report button. In the panel on the left, select USB in the Hardware section.
- If you do not see the Owl in this list, hit Command-R to refresh.
If the above conditions are met, check if the Owl’s camera and microphone are approved in your computer’s security settings and browser (if using a browser based platform):
- If using a desktop app:
- If using a browser-based platform:
If the problem persists, check the following:
- Are you using an Owl Labs approved USB extension cable? Not all extension cables are equal! Some unpowered or poor quality USB extenders will not work with the Meeting Owl. Test with the 6ft cable that came with the Owl, and if the problem is resolved, replace the extension cable with an approved USB extension cable.
- Are you using a USB-C port? Some USB-C adapters and cables are not compatible with the Meeting Owl. Try testing on a computer without a USB-C port, and purchase an approved USB-C cable or adapter if problem is resolved.
If these conditions are met, try the following:
- Try a different micro USB to USB cable.
- Try a different USB port.