I can't select the Meeting Owl as my video device
This article applies to the Meeting Owl Pro and Meeting Owl.
If you are starting a video conference call and cannot select Owl as your video device, please ensure the following:
- You are on the latest Meeting Owl software version. Owls on 20002 or below may experience this issue.
- You are on the latest version of Mac OS X if you are using a Mac and have Google Chrome running in the background. This issue can be experienced on older Mac OS X versions (before High Sierra) when Chrome is open.
- Are you using an Owl Labs approved USB extension cable? Not all extension cables are equal! Some unpowered or poor quality USB extenders will not work with the Meeting Owl. Test with the 6ft cable that came with the Owl, and if the problem is resolved, replace the extension cable with an approved USB extension cable.
- Are you using a USB-C port? Some USB-C adapters and cables are not compatible with the Meeting Owl. Try testing on a computer without a USB-C port, and purchase an approved USB-C cable or adapter if problem is resolved.
If these conditions are met, try the following:
- Reinitiate the USB connection. Unplug the USB cable. Look at the base of the Owl above the control buttons and plug the USB cable back in. You should see red and blue lights flash.
- Reboot the Owl. Unplug Owl’s power supply for 10 seconds and plug it back in. Wait until the eyes stop pulsing and you hear a hoot.
- Try a different micro USB to USB cable.
- Try a different USB port.